Sunday, April 28, 2024

Some thoughts on travel

Over dinner on Friday with a couple of friends -- the wife born and raised in India -- and their daughter, our friends talked about saving travel in Europe to when they were a little older and had less energy and ability to adventure. I totally see that. I did feel a little slack when traveling in Western Europe last summer, like it's all rather well domesticated and small variations on a theme.

Yesterday night I was hanging out with some greying CHHS Tigers and one of them was saying how he was less excited about travel than he used to be. Rather than seeing that, I feel that, insofar as the returns on travel have become increasingly incremental. That said, my recent sample set is a little skewed. Our trip to France and Spain last year was marred by Mary getting COVID. My trip to Mexico in 2019 was a little constrained by mom's dietary conservatism, though in general she gets all the credit in the world for heading out at the age of 81 on an unscripted trip in a rental car in Mexico with her son.

Honestly what these conversations really probably tell me is that I should push in some slightly more adventurous travel pretty soon, before we get completely ground down by age. At the same time, I am grateful for the learnings of the pandemic, namely that one can occupy oneself pretty darned well at home, or perhaps the lesson should be that we are very fortunate that our home is such that we can do so. And indeed we can. 

No comments: