Saturday, January 13, 2018

Early rising

Awoke early this morning, earlier than usual on a Saturday. In the run-up to our event a couple of weeks out, Mary re-initiated the theme of "I have to do everything" (pertaining to getting the house ready) and I got a little miffed. The depth of her lack of understanding of what I do, of what it takes to run our household, outside of the obvious, physical tasks (yardwork, cleaning, cooking, etc.) never ceases to astound me.

To wit, I endured a proctological exam from Yale this week concerning the financial details of running our household. The amount of money we spend, without doing much that looks expensive, is pretty astounding. Putting it in their buckets (they had a bucket for haircuts and toiletries but not for home maintenance) was a lot of work. They were obviously interested in the lumpiness of my income. Building a business as a small businessperson is a hard fucking thing. It takes a lot of effort over time to become sustainable.

So I am tired, it is Saturday, and it was not my intent to be up quite this early. But here I am, ready to greet the day. Now that I am drinking some coffee, it will get better.

I'm excited to meet with mom and a couple of people from the Orange County Democrats later about trying to flip Person County in the state legislature this fall. The county went 57-40 for Trump in 2016, a margin of less than 4,000 votes. It should, in principle, be doable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FAFSA was invented by a proctologist with an interest the noble goal of merit-based investment in the education of our children. Or maybe a tool for torturing parents of modest means to make them feel guilty about requesting help from anyone. More than 300 questions designed by whom for what purpose? Any transparency in the underwriting standards for the granting of loans or grant money? Once Natalie goes to Yale or her school of choice, ask her to send you a copy of her admissions file. See if you made the check box for "potential donor" based on the size of your "endowment".