Friday, June 11, 2010

"I scored a goal in the World Cup final"

OK. Not me, exactly. Because I don't get ESPN3 and can't watch games live, I went to good old ESPN to check the scores, and saw its video feature on guys who did score goals in the final (no coverage of the women's final, yet...). Pretty amazing. A guy from Uruguay who beat Brazil in 1950. The guy who scored 3 to beat Germany at Wembley in 1966.

Though Mary would mock me if she bothered to read my blog, this is heady, emotional stuff. Many of us get married and have kids, and unless you're first to die, everyone loses loved ones over the course of a life. Those are huge moments. But even Michael Jordan hitting the shot in '82 to give Dean Smith his first title doesn't compare. The World Cup is on an entirely other level. Go to ESPN and watch some of these clips. It's pretty cool.

Then try and return to your day job.

No comments: