Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Out for books

Natalie read through the last of her books and I needed to do timesheets, so we've snuck out to the local internet cafe here in Canandaigua, which seems to operate a lot like the ice cream shop of yore, lots of smoothies and elephantine cookies for teens.

But first, to the used book store, which was wall to wall mysteries, sci-fi, fantasy, with the so-called "classic literature" section populated only with the sparsest volumes of Seneca and Galsworthy. But we found plenty of things for Natalie, though she preferred yet another Nancy Drew to the Three Investigators, which I suggested for her. And it took me back to beach trips when I was a kid when our whole family would spread out across the cheap paperbackeries and gird ourselves for weeks with brown paper backs of yellowing dog-eared cast offs for something like the price of a plate of fried clams.

And now she's sitting here next to me reading as I type.

2 comments:

Jon Moore said...

Juniper Jones rules!

Anonymous said...

I remember grouse family trips to Emerald Isle, the travelpark and good selections of bargain fiction. The poet laureate even read aloud particularly humorous passages. One was about how you could tell a guy was from Indiana. The stuffing came out of their neckties because they never untied the knot- just loosened them and took them on and off over their head. After that, I always looked for this telltale sign of hoosierdom.