Thursday, November 09, 2006

For some reason

Gene continues to express surprise at the number of places high-fructose corn syrup can be injected into the food chain: two kinds in one packet of salad dressing, he tells me. I hate to tell him that it's in the air around here.

After dinner last night, where I had a surprisingly good bit of seared tuna and some quite crabby crab cakes, I walked a little on Madison Street in Cincinnati. There I saw a sign that said "schwing in for some Schnecken", and so I stopped in to Busken Bakery, a 24/7 old school bakery that's straight out of the 60s. Unfortunately, they were out of Schnecken, some cinnamon bun like item that comes out at 6 in the morning twice a week and sells out quickly. I tend to doubt that it's worth making the run, though it's said to be buttery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your last several posts have been fascinating, just fascinating. Like eating mayonaise right out of the jar - isn't that what they do in the midwest. Don't worry though, even the most mundane stories will still be perused. I expect you to spice it up upon returning to NJ (maybe talk about how your lawnmower won't start or how, after eating at the local mexican restaurant, you had the worst case of...).

Anonymous said...

A better way to obtain some "schwing" is to apply a liberal helping of my male enhancement cream directly on your "cinnamon roll".