Thursday, September 15, 2005

Heard on the Street

Out on the street in steamy Princeton a few minutes ago, a passably-accessorized middle-aged woman comes up to me:

"Do you know if there's a store on this street that sells Princeton T-shirts and stuff".
Me: "Um, I tend to sort of ignore that stuff."
Her: "I have a niece in North Carolina who wants one."
Man, how people spend their days.

I told her where to go, a 5-minute walk away through a heavily-trafficked area, and she said thanks and got out her car keys to drive over there. And we wonder why we're in the middle of a demand-driven oil spike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe the complimentary spammers have access to your blog, is there nothing sacred? I think it's perfectly reasonable for the USA to consume 35% of the world's energy with far less of the world's population, moral relativism and a stunning lack of personal responsibility are the hallmarks of current US political leaders and corporate leaders... BUT I GOT MINE!!!